Fire Safety and Your Pets
For many of us our pets are our family, here at SERVPRO of Southwest Wichita we all have our own fur babies that we love. Emergencies can happen at any moment, and while we may never be able to fully prevent them, we can make sure we are prepared for an emergency and have a plan in place for our pet’s safety. The Red Cross provides a great resource for tips on how to keep your pets safe from potential danger.
Tips for Pet Safety
- Note where your pets like to nap or hide.
- If you must evacuate quickly knowing the key spots to look will help.
- Have an emergency plan and practice escape routes with your pet.
- Include all members of the family in this plan, and make sure they know what to do and where to go.
- Keep the phone number and address of a local animal hospital handy.
- Have an emergency bag handy with your pet’s normal food, snacks, waster, medications, and a couple toys for comfort.
- Pet proof your home
- Use only flameless candles.
- Removing any stovetop control knobs they could possibly turn.
- Have a pet alert window cling and write down the number of pets inside your house and attach the static cling to a front window. This saves rescuers time when locating your pets. Click here for an example.
After a fire emergency, the trauma of smoke and fire damage can affect the whole family, even the pets. Call SERVPRO of Southwest Wichita to start the remediation process (316) 260-9011.